Proposal to improve XNodes

Hello everyone,

Being a long time holder of multiple xnodes, rewards never really justified having locked our VET, so I was thinking if we could give to those locked VET a second token 1:1 like xVET which could actually be used without destroying the node.

Basically an XNode would request to wrap those VET into xVET and to get back the VET would need to repay it with xVET.

I believe this could open many doors for all the XNodes.

Please share your thoughts

4 Likes

As much as I appreciate the proposal, unfortunately I do not agree with this proposal, basically wrapping VET in xVET would protect existing nodes from destruction and consequently the pool reserved for x-nodes would always be divided by the same x-nodes.
The main problem that needs to be solved is that there are not enough txs on the network to activate the VTHO tokenomics that rewards node owners.
I hope that as many x-nodes as possible will join this topic and that they will also contribute with their ideas.
But the question that comes to mind is: If we could all converge on an idea, is VeChain available to listen to the proposal? :thinking:

3 Likes

Not enough TXs are a problem, but it won’t change anything for XNodes rewards, as XNodes are rewarded from the 5b pool vechain has supplied.

To make reward more fair the foundation should increase the pool, otherwise it’s really not worth to hold an xnode.

1 Like

Hey @Vetliever,

Despite not being an XNode holder yet, i fully support the need of a new incentive for holding the nodes. Current APYs are too low to be convenient for the user.

Having said this, i don’t think increasing the pool will solve any issue

I see two possibilities:

• Open the ownership of nodes to contracts (requires a new redeploy + migration;
    • This will open to tons of DeFi opportunities: fractionalise the node, use it as collateral and so on… i’m pretty sure @favo already have some ideas an plans in mind;
  • Using the pool (VET + VTHO) to create a new, very very convenient incentive to:
    • Destroy your node :melting_face:
    • Lock your collateral in a new or existing DeFi protocol (i.e lending) in order to finally have the $ backing the nodes, visible as TVL
    • Receive an extremely convenient TVL for n months, (lending + pool)

Please keep in mind that the one above are just my personal opinions :joy:

The 2nd point is very interesting to me, but we don’t have a serious lending protocol on vechain yet. It’s something like

• Incentivising the destruction of the node in favour of a very convenient APY for x months/years;
1 Like

Why don’t you think increasing the pool and giving Xnodes proper rewards will fix the issue?

As of now, Xnodes APY is irrelevant, might be about 0.1%. Any of you can correct me if I’m wrong.

So why would anyone keep locked VET which can’t be used to do anything if they are not making anything out of it? When nowadays you can hold the majority of the coins around and make a way better return.

I’m a long Xnode holders, since day 1 actually and the “benefits” never really kicked in.

2 Likes

I think something like this could work for a while, but it’s just not scalable

It’s very subjective to inflation and market fluctuations (VTHO), so it could require frequent top-ups from the foundation.

My main issue with xNodes, is that the locked VET is just removed from the circulation, but does not concur with anything else in the chain.

This is definitely great, but i really think we should take the opportunity to transform the xNode program in something able to bootstrap DeFi liquidity on vechain.

The thing is ~200M are soft-locked with the node mechanism, but this is not visible anywhere. We could be top 50 on defillama if that amount was taken into account.

I’m just wondering of an ideal scenario where the liquidity backing xNodes can be used to bootstrap DeFi and liquidity on vechain, at the same time rewarding you holders the way you deserve.

Imagine if you could receive a good APY in VET for your locked VET, isn’t that great? This is possible in other ecosystems thanks to lending protocols like AAVE, where your locked/lended VET provide a sustainable APY and providing on-chain liquidity at the same time. On vechain, we could do this, plus offering a convenient incentive in the form of VTHO generated from the 5b pool

1 Like

I like the idea of a DeFi solution to the Xnode APY issue but like @Vetliever I would also support an increase in the Xnode Pool - why not both?

Good point, we definitely need a change otherwise it’s pointless to keep holding an Xnode.

2 Likes